« Home | My Happy Holidays » | Now Spit!!!! » | My confidence in the American public is somewhat r... » | The Written Word » | Dorks of the world...UNITE » | Songs at My Funeral - a chain letter dies » | Shitty week comes to an end » | Vodka tonic anyone? » | Working from home - a brief list. » | I love the night life, I gots to boogy »

Diamond Dave Lives!

So I just found out that it's official, Van Halen are touring this summer with David Lee Roth. How cool is that? Now, other than the fact that this is a terrible idea, THIS IS A GREAT IDEA! Unfortunately they will probably not make it through 3 nights before some punches are thrown, but I'd still pay a good chunk of money to go see it. Let's hope Seattle is somewhere in those 3 nights.

But my definition of "a good chunk of money" is undoubtedly different than most. Maybe I'd go as high as say... $75. Maybe a little more depending on when and where it is. I have a hard time shelling out that kind of money for anything that is not a bit more permanent than 3 hours of loud music. The most I paid for a show was something like $50 to see Radiohead at the White Horse Amphitheater a few years back. And, as good as it was, I still felt like $50 was a little steep even though I like Radiohead quite a bit more than Van Halen.

"But that makes no God damned sense!" you may be saying. "Why would you pay more to see a band of geriatric egomaniacs than a band of mumbling Brittish egomaniacs?" Well, there's historical value first. It's been so long since David Lee Roth has been with VH that it makes it seem more appealing. 10 years if you count the brief bit of time they got back together in the late 1990's. We've had to endure 11 years of Sammy "Red Rocker" Hagar and even one album with that girly sounding dude from the band Extreme. It's like if you went 10 years with only eating white rice and water and suddenly got a hamburger, it would probably taste better than a steak you could get anytime you wanted.

Plus, maybe they'll fight on stage and it'll be funny, or DLR will try and do the jumps splits and break a hip or something. Either way, well worth the money.

There are a few bands that fit into this category for me. Along with Van Halen there's the Police, the Cars (maybe), Neutral Milk Hotel (who I've only recently discovered and would almost certainly never get back together), Nirvana and the Beatles (you know, if it wasn't for that whole being dead thing.)

So, to the 3 readers of this blog, who would you pay upwards of $80 to see if they got back together or weren't dead?

I would pay a lot to see Portishead (who are working on a new album FINALLY! so I may actually have a chance to see them)...but not Van Halen. You are on your own for that one. I'd maybe like to see Rage Against the Machine too.

Easy.....
SRV and Double Trouble
Jimi Hendrix Experience
Buffalo Springfield
Cream
The Doors
Barrelhouse

I would probably pay that much for Portishead too. But my big one would be The Clash...because, not only is their music fantastic...but elderly punks are HILARIOUS. Screw YOU Mick Jaggar!

Nice work tracking down the creepiest picture of EVH I've ever seen. From what I understand, that was taken shortly after he ate 2 young children and then sacrificed a virgin to the dark lord.

Anyway, if Van Halen makes it to Seattle, I'd go see them if the price was right. And I don't think I'd pay more than $50 to see anybody. I LOVE Van Halen, but think that Diamond Dave is such a joke now that any show with him is tainted. If you don't believe me, just watch this . I know it's sacriledge to say, but I think Sammy Hagar was a lot better singer than Dave and about 50% less of a jackass. Still, if I could get my hands on some tickets for under $50 I'm in.

Check it out! I'm your 5th comment! You have more than 3 readers, don't be so hard on yourself.
I wouldn't pay more than $20 to see anyone. I'm a cheap bastard. I also have a brother who I recently found out can get me into ANY show at the Crystal Ballroom for free and in the VIP section. We saw the Shins at a sold out show from 10 feet away. Sweet.

Post a Comment